Don’t be scammed by schemes designed to intimidate you into paying a fraudulent utility bill!
The best protection against becoming a victim is knowledge. Here’s what customers need to know to protect themselves:
- A Springfield Utility Board (SUB) employee will never ask customers to purchase pre-paid cards in order to pay their utility bill.
- A SUB employee will never ask a customer to provide credit card information directly to them. Anyone wishing to pay over the phone will be directed to call SUB’s secure, automated line at (844) 298-5380.
- If someone calls on the weekend, or after 5 p.m. on a weekday to say a customer’s service will be disconnected unless a payment is made, that caller is not from SUB. SUB will never disconnect a customer’s service because of non-payment on a weekend or after hours.
- If someone calls and asks for a customer’s account information, that person is not from SUB. Remember, SUB has that information in our system. However, if a customer calls SUB, a customer service representative will ask for this information to verify that the caller is the account holder.
If a Customer Is Unsure
SUB advises that if a customer is ever unsure whether the person calling is from SUB:
- Hang up and call us directly at (541) 746-8451
- If our office is closed at the time, customers can be sure that their service will stay on
- Unless we are conducting a repair – something that will not require any kind of payment on a customer’s part
- Customers can ask the answering service to connect them with our Supervisor On Call, who can help allay any concerns
If your service is scheduled for disconnection because of non-payment:
- The field representative who comes to the property may ask if you’d like to pay the bill to avoid service interruption
- SUB will have notified the customer of their account status
Therefore, if a request for payment comes as a surprise, we encourage customers to call SUB to verify. It’s very important to call the number on our website to ensure that you are speaking with SUB.