Containers may need to be sanitized before using them to store disinfected water.
To sanitize containers:
- Use unscented bleach (bleach that does not have an added scent)
- Make a sanitizing solution by mixing 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) of unscented household liquid bleach in 1 quart (32 ounces, 4 cups, or about 1 liter) of water
- Pour this sanitizing solution into a clean storage container and shake well, making sure that the solution coats the entire inside of the container
- Let the clean storage container sit for at least 30 seconds, and then pour the solution out of the container
- Let the empty container air dry or rinse it with clean water that has already been made safe, if available
Never use a container to store drinking water if it previously stored milk, fruit juice, or any toxic solid or liquid chemicals. If disinfected water has been stored for more than five days, follow the steps listed above to re-disinfect it before use.