For the hearing-impaired, an interpreter can be provided with 48 hours' notice prior to the meeting. To arrange for this service, call (541) 744-3603.
“The Mission of the Springfield Utility Board is to provide safe, reliable, cost-effective utility-related services to the citizens and businesses of the Springfield community.”
To ensure safe public meetings, we continue to follow current and up-to-date COVID precautions.
March 10, 2021
Special Work Session – 5 to 5:45 p.m.
The Board plans to review its self-evaluation on the Board’s 2020 performance. The public is invited to join this meeting – instructions further down the page. Please note that the Board does not take public comment during work sessions.
Regular Board Meeting – 6:00 p.m.
This meeting will commence at approximately 6:00 p.m., after the conclusion of the 5:00 p.m. Special Work Session. Public hearings will be held during this meeting on: proposed increase to electric rates, proposed increase to dark fiber rates, proposal to amend previously adopted Board Resolution 20-11 regarding System Development Charges (SDCs) with an expected effective date of April 1, 2021, proposal to amend Chapter 5-Water Policy regarding SDCs with an expected effective date of October 1, 2021.
The public is invited to join this meeting – instructions further down the page. The public will also be prompted to address the Board, and be allowed time to offer testimony during each public hearing. The public also has the opportunity to submit public comment in advance, to be entered into the record, via our Contact Us form by Noon on Wednesday, March 10.
Instructions to join the March 10 Board Meetings
Use this one-touch link to join from your computer, tablet, or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/763970301
To join using the GoToMeeting App, enter meeting ID: 763-970-301
Use your telephone for Audio Only Mode – please mute your microphone to cancel background noise:
Call-in: (866) 899 4679 (Toll-Free)
Call-in: (571) 317-3116 (Long Distance charges may apply)
Access Code: 763-970-301
Oregon Relay/TTY: 711 -or- (800) 735-1232
Special Work Session – 5:00 p.m.
The Board plans to review its self-evaluation on the Board’s 2020 performance. The Board does not take public comment during work sessions.
Regular Board Meeting – 6:00 p.m.
Agenda – Revised
I. Call to Order
- A. Pledge of Allegiance
II. Business from the Audience
III. Business from the Board
- A. Consent Agenda – Action – 5 min
- 1. Approval of Minutes
- 2. Approval of Accounts Paid Listing
- 3. Adopt/Approve Bids/Proposals
- 3.a. ESC Bid No. 08.21, Conductor and UG Cable
- 3.b. ESC RFP 02.21, Seismic Evaluation of Existing Buildings
- 3.c. WSC Bid No. 2021-02A, McKenzie River WTP Pressure Membrane Pilot Testing
- 3.d. WSC Bid No. 2021-04, Willamette Well No. 11 Rehabilitation
- 3.e. WSC Bid No. 2021-09, Ductile Iron Pipe for Mohawk & Olympic Overlay Project
- B. Public Hearing on Proposed Electric Rate Increase – 15 min
- C. Consideration to Adopt Resolution 21-2, Approving Proposed Electric Rates
- D. Public Hearing on Proposed Dark Fiber Rate Increase – 10 min
- E. Consideration to Adopt Resolution 21-3, Approving Proposed Dark Fiber Rates
- F. Public Hearing on Proposal to Amend Adopted Board Resolution 20-11 Regarding Development/Redevelopment Charge Calculations – 10 min
- G. Consideration to Adopt Resolution 21-4, Approving Amending Board Resolution 20-11
- H. Public Hearing on Proposal to Amend Chapter 5-Water Policy related to DRC – 10 min
- I. Consideration to Adopt Resolution 21-5, Approving to Amend Chapter 5-Water Policy re. DRC
IV. Business from the General Manager
- A. Resolution 21-6, Approving Request for Special Procurement, Confluence Engineering– Action – 5 min
- B. Social Media Outreach Update – 5 min
- C. Contract Review for Net Neighborhoods – Action – 10 min
- D. Extension of Temporary Easement to Willamalane – Action – 5 min
- E. General Manager Updates – 5 min
- 1. McKenzie Treatment Plant Progress
- 2. Downtown Voltage Conversion
- 3. In-Lieu-of-Tax Request and Next Steps
- 4. Telecommunications Update
- 5. TEAM Springfield Update
- F. Special Meeting May 5 – 5 min
V. Other Business from the Board
- A. Ethics Review – 30 min
- B. General Manager Form Review and Process – 10 min
- C. Board Member Updates – 5 min
- D. Future Board Agenda Items – 5 min
- E. Initial Review of Telecom Strategy – 5 min
Total Time 140 min
Special Work Session – March 10, 2021
Board approved at April 14, 2021 Regular Board Meeting
The virtual special work session of the Springfield Utility Board was called to order by Chair Eyster at 5:00 p.m.
Board: Mike Eyster, Chair; Robert Scherer, Vice-Chair; David Willis; John DeWenter; Mark Molina.
Staff: Jeff Nelson; Cindy Flaherty.
Business from the Board
Review the Board’s Self-Evaluation on its 2020 Performance
Chair Eyster noted that participating Board members completed their responses for its 2020 performance and received a compilation of the Board Self Evaluation for 2020 Performance (Exhibit A). The Board then engaged in an item-by-item review of the compiled document.
The Board shared discussion on Board goals, how to accomplish high priority goals, and to ensure that the Board and SUB management are aligned.
Jeff Nelson shared concerns of the number of Board goals and the need to explore and understand key strategies of the utility operations, as well as long term planning.
Following thorough discussion, Chair Eyster thanked David Willis and John DeWenter for creating the instrument used for the Board’s evaluation of its performance. It stimulated constructive thought and productive discussion, and this process will offer useful guidance for the Board’s actions in the future.
The meeting was adjourned by consensus at 5:46 p.m.
Mike Eyster, Board Chair
Jeff Nelson, Board Secretary