For the hearing-impaired, an interpreter can be provided with 48 hours' notice prior to the meeting. To arrange for this service, call (541) 744-3603.
“The Mission of the Springfield Utility Board is to provide safe, reliable, cost-effective utility-related services to the citizens and businesses of the Springfield community.”
To ensure safe public meetings, we continue to follow current and up-to-date COVID precautions.
August 11, 2021
Special Meeting With Springfield Utility Board Budget Committee – 5:00 PM
The purpose of this meeting is to give the Budget Committee a mid-year review of the budget and a prognosis of the 2022 budget year. The public is invited to attend this meeting.
Regular Board Meeting – 6:00 PM
The public is invited to attend this meeting and will commence at approximately 6:00 p.m., after the conclusion of the 5:00 p.m. Budget Committee meeting. The public also has the opportunity to submit public comment in advance, to be entered into the record, via our Contact Us form by Noon, August 11.
Instructions to Join these public meetings remotely
Use this one-touch link to join from your computer, tablet, or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/763970301
To join using the GoToMeeting App, enter meeting ID: 763-970-301
Use your telephone for Audio Only Mode – please mute your microphone to cancel background noise:
Call-in: (866) 899 4679 (Toll-Free)
Call-in: (571) 317-3116 (Long Distance charges may apply)
Access Code: 763-970-301
Oregon Relay/TTY: 711 -or- (800) 735-1232
Executive Session – approximately 7:30 p.m.
Pursuant to ORS 40.225 and ORS 192.660(2)(h); attorney-client privilege and to consult with counsel concerning legal rights and duties with regard to pending or potential litigation. The nonpublic executive session will commence following the conclusion of the Regular Board Meeting.
Special Meeting of SUB Board Mid-Year Budget Committee Update – 5:00 p.m.
I. Call to Order
- A. Pledge of Allegiance
II. Comments from the Audience
III. Budget Committee Mid-Year Update – 45 min
- A. Presentation on Reserve Methodology
- B. Mid-year Financials for Water and Electric
- C. Update on Water and Electric Capital Projects
- D. Rate Increase Projections for 2022 through 2031
- E. Review Projected Working Capital Reserves
Regular Board Meeting – 6:00 p.m.
I. Call to Order
- A. Pledge of Allegiance
II. Business from the Audience
III. Business from the Board
- A. Consent Agenda - Action – 10 min
- 1. Approval of Minutes
- 2. Award/Approve Bids/Proposals
- a. BID 2021-27, Ductile Iron Pipe and Materials for Stock
- b. SOQ 2021-28, Land Use Planning & Landscape Architecture - S. Hills 3rd Level Water Tanks c. SOQ 2021-29, Structural Engineering Services - S. Hills 3rd Level Water Tanks d. SOQ 2021-30, Civil Engineering Services - S. Hills 3rd Level Water Tanks
- 3. Approval of Accounts Paid Listing
- B. Recognition of the Retirement and Many Years of Public Service and Contributions of Past Board Member Pat Riggs-Henson – 15 min
- C. Review of Process for Board Priority/Goal Setting – 10 min
- D. Update on Rocks/Trucks for the Water Division – 10 min
IV. Business from the General Manager
- A. Power Supply Update – 10 min
- B. Cybersecurity Overview – 10 min
- C. Cybersecurity Policy - Action – 10 min
- D. Telecommunications Update 5 min E. Team Springfield Update – 5 min
V. Other Business from the Board
- A. Board Member Updates – 10 min
- B. Future Board Agenda Items – 5 min
- C. Appointment to SUB Budget Committee - Action – 5 min
- D. Administrative Appointments to SUB Retirement Advisory Committee - Action – 5 min
Total Time: 110 min
Regular Board Meeting – August 11, 2021
Board approved at October 13, 2021 Regular Board Meeting
Board: Mike Eyster, Chair; Robert Scherer, Vice-Chair; David Willis; John DeWenter; Mark Molina.
Staff: Jeff Nelson; Sanjeev King; Cindy Flaherty; and Matt Dahlstrom, Attorney for the Board;
Remote Staff: Cynthia Scoble; Greg Miller; Meredith Clark; Joe Leahy, Attorney for the Board.
Others: Pat Riggs-Henson, Former SUB Board Member.
Call to Order
Chair Eyster called the regular board meeting of the Springfield Utility Board to order at 6:02 p.m. and led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Business from the Audience
Business from the Board
- June 9, 2021 Regular Board Meeting
- July 14, 2021 Regular Board Meeting
- July 14, 2021 Special Meeting
Accounts Paid - July 2021
- BID No. 2021-27, Ductile Iron Pipe and Materials for Stock, awarded to H.D. Fowler for a total amount of $675,990.00, for the lowest responsible bidder with a lead-time of 18 weeks (Exhibit A).
- SOQ 2021-28, Land Use Planning and Landscape Architecture, approved for an amount of $63,315.00 for The Satre Group for the design of two South Hills 3rd Level water storage tanks (Exhibit B).
- SOQ 2021-29, Structural Engineering Services, approved for an amount of $62,114.00 for Peterson Structural Engineers to provide design, support, and construction services throughout the development of the two new 0.6 MG water storage tanks for South Hills 3rd Level (Exhibit C).
- SOQ 2021-29, Civil Engineering Services, approved for an amount of $399,910.00 for Murraysmith to provide project design, construction management, support, and oversight throughout the bidding, construction, and inspection processes for the two new water storage tanks for South Hills 3rd Level (Exhibit D).
* Robert Scherer moved to approve the Consent Agenda, as presented. This motion carried unanimously 5:0.
Recognition of Pat Riggs-Henson
On behalf of the Board, Mark Molina presented Pat Riggs-Henson with a plaque in recognition and thanks for her eight years of service on SUB’s Board of Directors (Exhibit E). The Board also presented her with a framed copy of the signed resolution (Exhibit F) in honor of her retirement from the Board in December 2020 during the pandemic when formal in-person recognition was not possible.
Appointment to SUB Budget Committee
Chair Eyster moved this agenda item up on the agenda. The Board appointed Pat Riggs-Henson to SUB’s Budget Committee for the remaining period of 2021 through 2023.
Review Process for Board Priority / Goal Setting
Chair Eyster explained that based on the Board’s desire for its goal setting discussed at the June 15 Board Retreat Work Session, Jeff Nelson provided the following memos for Board review prior to tonight’s meeting: Calendar to Identify Organizational Goals and Goal Prioritization (Exhibit G), and August 6, 2021 Updates on SUB Board Calendar, SUB Board Priority Goals Dashboard, and Prioritization of 2021 SUB Board Goals (Exhibit H).
Discussion was shared on aligning Board goals with organizational goals, and election of officers in December as opposed to January, the Board thanked Mr. Nelson for this information.
Update on Rocks / Trucks for the Water Division
Greg Miller referred to his memo Over $50K Notification – Rock and Trucks for Natron Phase 2 – Bob Straub/Mt. Vernon (Exhibit I) and noted that the Water Division is seeking Board acknowledgement “after the fact” on a transaction for rocks and trucks. One of the challenges recently is that for the initial Bid 2021-26 contractors were unable to provide trucks but could provide rock. The way this particular bid unfolded, we ended up getting the rock bid initially for $46,875.00, and then at a later point in time the contractor was able to include trucks with the rock in the bid. This would bring the total purchase order to $66,675.00 to Wildish for both rock and trucks.
Following brief discussion, the Board noted appreciation of Mr. Miller’s update.
Business from the General Manager
Power Supply Update
Tracy Richardson provided a presentation to the Board on SUB Power Supply Update (Exhibit J).
The Board presented a question regarding BPA Tier II rates. Ms. Richardson will look into Tier II rates and follow up in the near future with an answer for the Board.
Cyber Security Update
Cynthia Scoble gave a presentation on Cyber Security Overview (Exhibit K).
Cyber Security Policy
Cynthia Scoble updated the Board that the policy on SUB’s Cybersecurity (Exhibit L) is a utility operational policy and procedure to be adopted by management and therefore does not require Board action.
The Board thanked Ms. Scoble and her staff for all their hard work on this cybersecurity policy.
Jeff Nelson shared that he gave a Telecommunications presentation at the Economic Development Committee at the Springfield Chamber.
TEAM Springfield Update
Other Business from the Board
Administrative Appointments to SUB Retirement Advisory Committee
The Committee for 2021 currently consists of Jeff Nelson, David Willis, Shawn Madison, Robin Musgrove, Anthony Otto, Janis Brew, and Bob Fondren (Plan Administrator). As Janis Brew and Bob Fondren have recently retired, it is recommend the Board appoint Nicole Dalke to replace Janis Brew and Cynthia Scoble to replace Bob Fondren as Plan Administrator, for the 2021 Retirement Advisory Committee.
* John DeWenter moved that the Board appoint Nicole Dalke to replace Janis Brew, and Cynthia Scoble to replace Bob Fondren as Plan Administrator, for SUB’s 2021 Retirement Advisory Committee. This motion carried unanimously 5:0.
Board Member Updates
John DeWenter thanked Nicole Dalke for providing her update memo on Status of Performance Appraisals (Exhibit M). Jeff Nelson shared a brief update on the United Front and next steps.
Mark Molina requested information or visual on how SUB’s water system is protected, in terms of cybersecurity.
John DeWenter asked for clarification on some terms and data listed in the monthly operations report. Future Board Agendas None at this time.
The meeting was adjourned by consensus at 7:29 p.m.
Mike Eyster, Board Chair
Jeff Nelson, Board Secretary