Several Springfield businesses report that phone scammers are active today. These calls attempt to get businesses to pay their bill over the phone to avoid an immediate disconnection of their power.
The details of these fraudulent schemes change frequently, and anyone can be a victim. Here’s what customers need to know to protect themselves:
- A SUB employee will NEVER ask customers to purchase pre-paid cards in order to pay their utility bill. If someone calls and asks a customer to do this, the caller is not from SUB.
- A SUB employee will NEVER ask a customer to provide credit card information directly to them. Anyone wishing to pay over the phone will be directed to call SUB’s secure, automated line at 1-866-200-1977.
- If someone calls on the weekend, or after 5 p.m. on a weekday to say a customer’s service will be disconnected unless a payment is made, that caller is not from SUB. SUB will NEVER disconnect a customer’s service because of non-payment on a weekend or after hours.
- If someone calls and asks for a customer’s account information, that person is NOT from SUB. Remember, SUB has that information in our system. However, if a customer calls SUB, a customer service representative will ask for this information to verify that the caller is the account holder.
- SUB advises that if a customer is ever unsure whether the person calling is from SUB, hang up and call us directly at 541-746-8451. If our office is closed at the time, customers can be sure that their service will stay on (unless we are conducting a repair – something that will not require any kind of payment on a customer’s part).